- Soil and groundwater investigations to delineate lateral and vertical extent of impacted soil, soil vapor, and groundwater.
- groundwater impacted by the release of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that affected the regional municipal aquifer.
- Treatment of the regional aquifer by on-site and remove off-site remediation systems at rates up nearly 500,000 gallons per day.
- Post-treated groundwater at the off-site location is reinjected to recharge the aquifer through infiltration wells.
- Post-treated groundwater at the onsite location was utilized at the existing plant for production, significantly reducing operating expenses.
- Installation of a 100,000-gallon storage tank to store treated groundwater for plant use.
- Source-area soil remediation utilizing soil vapor extraction with granular activated carbon.
EEC Environmental (EEC) was retained by a major industrial laundry to remediate tetrachloroethene (PCE) released from historic dry cleaning operations. Subsurface investigations determined that PCE had impacted the drinking water aquifer located at approximately 120 feet below grade. Based on these investigations onsite and off-site groundwater remediation was implemented to contain and remediate the PCE impacted groundwater before it was drawn to nearby production wells. EEC optimized the on-site groundwater remediation to include the re-used of treated groundwater inside the operating plant, significantly reducing a major plant operating expense. groundwater at the offsite locations was re-injected into the groundwater aquifer after treatment.
A soil vapor extraction remediation system was installed to remediate soil and soil vapor from the PCE released from former dry cleaning operations. PCE-impacted soil extended to a depth of greater than 100 feet. The SVE system operated at a rate of 500 standard cubic feet per minute (scfm) and removed a significant mass of VOCs.
EEC operated the groundwater treatment system at full potential with minimum downtime and performed regular operation and maintenance, compliance sampling, progress reporting, permit compliance, and regulatory interaction.